Peggy Chaplin Louie, Senior Attorney with Miller Proctor Law PLLC, will be giving a live webinar on “Important Tariffs and Import Fees Updates” on behalf of Lorman Education Services.
DATE: Thursday, February 29, 2019 at 1pm ET.
TOPIC: Gain an in-depth understanding of the tariff system and its impact on importers. Many companies import various products without understanding what duties are, why they are imposed, and how they are calculated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. This topic will provide an understanding of the tariff system of the United States and the various additional tariffs currently applied to goods from many countries, particularly those originating in China. All importers are required to act with reasonable care with respect to the importation of their products and may not assume that any agents they use for customs clearance will protect them from penalties should they fail to abide by the rules and regulations governing the importation of products into the United States. This information will provide a basic understanding of the tariff system, its impact on importers, and an update on the additional tariffs imposed for trade remedy reasons. Specific topics will include:
- Overview of the Harmonized Tariff System
- Update on the Section 201 Safeguards, Section 232 National Security Investigations and Tariffs, and Section 301 Tariffs on China
- Enforcement by U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Retaliation by U.S. Allies and Trading Partners
- Steps for Adapting to the New Tariff Environment
There will be a live Q&A session at the conclusion of the webinar.