Presented by the Export Compliance Training Institute (ECTI)
Date: September 17 – 20, 2018
Location: Blackwell Inn on the Campus of The Ohio State University, 2110 Tuttle Park Place, Columbus, Ohio 43210
Universities and research organizations play a vital role in the development and advancement of our most critical and sensitive technologies. As the eye of the US Government has become more keenly focused on university export violations, the risks for these institutions have become significantly greater. No university wants to become the poster child for university export control violations, and many programs are increasingly challenged with making sure that their compliance is up to speed.
The realities of complex regulations, increased government scrutiny, and dramatic export control reform create a real challenge for those responsible for compliance at academic and research facilities. Balancing academic freedom for faculty and researchers with compliance — and factoring in the issues specific to foreign national students and faculty — can be overwhelming.
Join us for our four-day comprehensive training on the ins and outs of US export control rules from the perspective of universities and research organizations. While some conferences merely skim the surface, we will delve into the details of the ITAR, EAR, and OFAC rules as they affect the day-to-day operations of these organizations. The comprehensive curriculum is organized to examine the issues in a thorough and methodical manner. Novices will get comprehensive, detailed training on the key rules while experts will have a unique opportunity to master the critical nuances of the rules and hear the viewpoints of their peers on the most complex and daunting compliance challenges.
Private companies who sponsor or work with universities and research laboratories on research projects will also benefit from this training by gaining unique and invaluable insights into the special compliance issues faced by these organizations, facilitating mutually beneficial partnerships between the academic and private sector. Professional export compliance instructors and a number of respected panelists from the university community will lead the training, discussions, and hands-on, practical exercises. Dynamic and methodic instruction —with emphasis on active learning and case studies — will provide compliance professionals from universities, research laboratories, and private enterprise with the complete details of US Export Controls as they apply to the academic and research community.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- University Export Compliance Officers / Contracts Administrators
- Research Lab Export Compliance Officers / Contracts Administrators
- Compliance Professionals from Private Industry Who Collaborate with Universities & Research Labs
- Scott Gearity, Principal of BSG Consulting
- Melissa Proctor, Founder of Miller Proctor Law PLLC
GUEST INSTRUCTORS AND PANELISTS:
- Jessa Albertson, Senior Export Control Officer, Ohio State University
- James Bartlett, Full Circle Compliance, BV
- Mary Beran, Associate Director of Research Integrity Assurance, Georgia Tech Research Corporation at the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Allen Dipalma, Director of Office of Export Control Services at the University of Pittsburgh
- Christopher M. Hadad, Dean of Natural and Mathematical Sciences and Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at The Ohio State University
- Felice Laird, Faculty Member of the Export Compliance Training Institute
- Jeanette Miller, Deputy Assistant Director for the Licensing Division at the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Missy Peloso, Associate Vice Provost and Associate Vice President for Research Services at the University of Pennsylvania
- Emily Schiver, Associate General Counsel at The Ohio State University
- Kevin Wolf, Partner, Akin Gump and former Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration in the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
- Jennifer Yucel, Associate Vice President, Research Compliance and Director of the Office of Research Compliance, Ohio State University
Limited Seats: Register Now to Reserve Yours!